Saturday, April 9, 2011

Meeting across the time zones (a very minor observation)

New and oldWe have a wonderful group of people in our Shanghai office. I really enjoy working with them, and I'm lucky enough to have visited that office and spent time in person with my collegues there. But I have to be honest and say the time difference can be tough for scheduling meetings! Right now we're 12 hours apart, but the winter is spent with Shanghai 13 hours ahead of the east coast of the US. You can do morning meetings and you can do night meetings. Everything in between is not going to happen.

Yesterday I had a 7am meeting and a 9:30pm meeting in the same day. Usually I'm clever enough to avoid this, but in this case it really was my own fault. I forgot to check my morning when I scheduled the 9:30pm meeting! Since it's important to me to include some downtime during my day, yesterday was a rough one.

So my lesson is to verify both ends of the calendar before scheduling the meeting. This is also the case for a late night followed by an early morning!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to start watching for this too. Two days a week we have a call with our office in Switzerland. Next month we'll start working with our new team in Mysore. The sun never sets on this project.

    ReplyDelete