Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fitness inspiration at any age

One of the main reasons I started working out regularly a few years ago was that I knew I wanted my old age to be under my control as much as possible, health-wise. To me that meant entering my old age (herein defined as older than around 80 or 85) in good shape. I felt it would be easier to start a real habit of it in my early 30's than it would be in my 50's or 60's. Bonus points for the extra years of being in shape! Not that I ever thought that people couldn't start habits at a later age, just that I wanted to get over the hump so that it was more about sustaining when I'm older.

I may or may not have mentioned my affinity for lifting weights. I was lucky enough to get instruction on lifting in college, and when I've been working out regularly (which I admit has not been all those years in between then and now), it's always been a part of my program.

But in case you think you've missed the boat on getting into weight-lifting and worry that it's too late for you, I give you this article: Experience: I am a 91-year-old bodybuilder

So, in addition to feeling strong, changing your body shape in a good way, and burning more calories (additional muscle does that), you can also think about how much better you'll look at 91!

[Author's note: I have since become hooked on the many other benefits of working out, including less stress and sleeping better. But that's another post]

[Author's note extra: Thanks to Batty for the original link!]

No comments:

Post a Comment