Thursday, April 14, 2011

The hidden talent surfaces

Remember that hidden-to-me talent? After multiple conversations with my fiancée, my best friend, my mom, and my manager, I have a better understanding of what others were seeing that I was not. The talent has surfaced! And has also given me a realization.

With a competency "strength" that I am aware of, I also have an awareness that not everyone else has that same strength. This is important because it helps me realize that others' strengths, which are different than mine, may make them react differently, care about different things, or discuss issues using a different style.

Photo by runintherain
But because I wasn't aware of this particular strength that I have, I made the assumption that most people would approach certain situations with the same mindset as me. Now I see that it's not only a bad assumption, it's actually a dangerous one. I might miss entire reasons and motivations behind why people are doing something. Even more important, when I'm considering how to make an impact, discuss an issue, or help change a process, this bad assumption could undermine my efforts.

And I cannot describe how great the feeling is to have an ah-ha! moment about that. I love learning new things about myself and I love every little piece of information that makes working together with others more effective. Now to put that knowledge to use!

Are you being hamstrung by a hidden talent?

No comments:

Post a Comment