Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hidden talents

Have you ever had a talent that was hidden? No, not hidden to others, but one YOU didn't realize you had?

Today was my performance review. It was a really nice conversation with my manager, and an extension of the many things we have spoken about throughout the year. As it should be.

In terms of development areas in reviews, I probably spend a lot more time thinking about my weaknesses than anybody else does, so I don't find that I'm usually surprised in this part of the talk. I try to be realistic, but not too hard on myself. In the discussion of strengths, I'm generally quite confident in the areas I'm strong in and I believe I have a pretty good self-awareness about what those areas are (though I completely believe I have tons to learn in them).

But today during my review, I found myself in the rare situation of being a bit surprised by a strength recognized in me by others. Apparently I have a positive quality/competency that others see in me that I... I have never thought about. I'm almost not believing it, but I guess I've just never thought of it in the way that some of my peers have.

It's fascinating, really. I have a hidden talent. Only, it's hidden to me and not others. I spent years with hidden talents that I had that others weren't aware of, but this orientation of it is pretty unusual. And it makes me wonder how I can build on it now that I know about it.

It also makes me wonder how I can help other people see the talents they have. Not the ones they know about, but the ones that are hidden to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment