Sunday, March 6, 2011

Productivity through illness

I was sick yesterday. My head was pounding mightily and in such a way that I was thinking trepanning sounded like a brilliant idea. Since it was Saturday, I was able to take advantage of no plans and really chill out. That was great because I am feeling better today. Yay!

But it left me thinking about the fact that sometimes, when I am at the tail end of a cold, or feeling just slightly under the weather, I actually get really productive at work and am able to get through a huge chunk of my to-do list. This is just the things I need to do, not including meetings, which are much more difficult when my brain is foggy. Anyway, I've thought about this in the last few years and decided that it's because I'm too tired to get distracted and go into ADD mode, thinking of every little thing that needs to get done. When I'm not feeling that great, but not feeling that awful, I just look at my list of things that need to get done and start working through them.

It seems the barrier to more productivity when I'm feeling well is that I want to get EVEN MORE done. Which is really rather silly. Perhaps I need to bring a mind-stilling meditation to some of my to-do-list-handling at work (and at home, for that matter), and not get distracted by the other ideas that pop up.

No comments:

Post a Comment