Thursday, March 10, 2011

A cure for a rough day (or: how productivity and workouts are related)

It was a long day, and not easy. I've been riding the edge of feeling vaguely overwhelmed for a few weeks, and today seemed to top out for a few minutes. In reality, it's not because anything is amiss or anyone has done anything wrong, it's because I'm trying to keep track of a lot of things and haven't been doing as good of a job as I know I can. As a result, anytime a new thing comes up, I'm dropping something else. And not always on purpose, as it should be.

First I'll say that the Getting Things Done process is an inspiration and I'm a big list-maker, so I know the first thing I need to do in order to get things back in order is make a list. Yay! I love making lists! I just wish there was a little extra time in the day to make the starting list. :) And if you have other tips and tricks for keeping organized, I'll take them!

But actually the reason I started this post was to talk about the resulting edgy feeling from the situation. It's annoying, like an itch that you can't quite reach. Except that it can be reached... with a workout. Be it a good cardio sweat, or a hefty weight-lifting session, a great workout is like a great meditation: clearing the mind, releasing the worries, and helping refocus energy. And even a mediocre workout is better than sitting on the couch. Extra bonus that it helps bring about a good night's sleep, and in the long run, helps all my clothes fit better!

Someday I'll have to talk about my workout journey. I was in no way athletic, into sports, or even very active as a kid, so it's been a long shift to being a somewhat fit person who enjoys workouts. But now exercise is something I greatly value. So, later: a list. Now: the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment