Friday, April 1, 2011

"Spring" in New England

I think I was spoiled by growing up in the mid-Atlantic area. Maryland had four whole seasons. Winter got cold, summer was hot, spring was long and beautiful, the fall was lovely, and they all lasted an appropriate amount of time.

[Actually I think whatever you grow up with seems "appropriate" to you, so that's my norm]

So in comparison I find that, living in New England, I am harshly reminded of how different the whole idea of "spring" is here every March and April. For example, tomorrow (or rather, starting a couple hours ago and going through tomorrow) we're supposed to get 6-12" of snow. On April 1. This isn't actually unusual, but every year I get to the end of March and think it should be warm. Because down in Maryland, where I grew up, March is warmer and flowers are starting and there's.... SPRING!

Alas, I'll have to wait for mid-May to see that around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment