Sunday, October 16, 2011

The rest of the family visit in Shanghai

Mom has made it safely back to the US, though continuing many travels of her own. It was wonderful to have her visit me in this far-off land, great to have family here with me, and great to have company for for some of the tourist things in Shanghai. Our 2nd cousin, Peter, also left to return home to Bangkok on Friday, but not before we had a few fun happenings.

Even though I was working all week, I was able to join in on some evening fun for several of the days. On Wednesday, we got tickets to see the New Shanghai Circus, featuring Chinese acrobatics. There were feats of strength, dexterity, gymnastics, and some pretty impressive tricks! I'm not sure if I was more impressed by the 10 women on a bicycle going around on the stage, or the 5 men on motorcycles inside the cage ball. I've seen that last one in a circus before, but never so close up. Yikes! On the down side, the setting was a bit run-down, the music was total cheese, and the initial "we're about to get started" dance moves were so painfully bad, but the talent and show of these atheletes totally made up for that, and we were all glad that we went. No photos of the actual performances, but here's Peter and Mom, and Mom and I before the show.

The hall is RED. Very RED. Mom and Peter:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

Me and Mom:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

On Thursday, we went out to dinner, intending to check out The Bund. However, once leaving the safety of the Shanghai Metro, we ran into a torrential downpour of rain. We had talked about seeing the Peace Hotel and getting a drink, and once we got there we decided to stay for food. This photo is from the next night, but we ate in a wonderful restaurant on the 9th floor.

The Fairmount Peace Hotel:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

The exterior shot doesn't do the place justice. The inside is gorgeously designed and decorated, and sadly another place that doesn't allow photography. But their website has a great photo of the lobby. When we got up to the Cathay Room and sat down for dinner, we were also treated to a view of The Pearl and Pudong at night. All of the lights, even in the clouds and rain, were lovely. And the food we had was all fantastic. I blew past my daily allowance for meals, but it was worth it!

Friday I was able to come home a bit early and go out with my mom. We both enjoy the kind of touristing where you just wander around, so we went back to the Nanjing Road area. I was hoping we would catch The Bund after sunset to witness the incredible lights of the city. That worked out really well!

Here's Nanjing Road at the end of the day:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

And, after walking a bit we decided we wanted to get dinner, so we found a restaurant located about this food market:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

After dinner, we came out to find the lit-up street I expected. This is a fun area to be at night!

Still on Nanjing Road:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

Signs:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

Mom and I, self-portrait:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

We also walked right past the newest, and largest, Apple store:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

A few blocks down the road, and we found ourselves on The Bund. Now, the Bund is quite a mixture of things. On the street you have the old European-style buildings looking gorgeous all lit up.

The street of European buildings:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

Then you have a huge pedestrian walkway on the river. And beyond that, you have Pudong, the new section of Shanghai that is complete with huge buildings, lots of lights, and animations galore (ON the buildings).

Pudong from the Bund:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

I personally find it impossible to see the view of Pudong and not feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie like Blade Runner or something. Especially with the hazy mist going on.

Here's a cool shot of the Chairman Mao statue and The Oriental Pearl Tower, from the pedestrian walkway area:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

I was pleasantly surprised that I was actually able to get some decent photos, and even captured the moon next to one of the most iconic buildings here, The Pearl.

Me by Pudong:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

World Financial Center and a couple other buildings. The Financial Center actually sparkles at the top!
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

Moon and Pearl:
From Nanjing Rd and The Bund - Shanghai

I have some more cool photos from the skyline, as well as a neat Art Deco building near the Bund all located here.

After some photo-taking, Mom and I returned to the hotel and had a relaxing night. Saturday, before I took mom to the airport, we were able to have a tasty dim sum lunch with Bruce and his wife, Mindy. That was fun, and also filling. I was really glad to have eaten a light breakfast! And while the food was very good, Mindy told me that Hong Kong is really the best place for dim sum, so I look forward to trying it when I go there in a few weeks!

After that, I accompanied mom to the airport and we said our goodbyes. A great visit to both Japan and Shanghai, and another fun mother-daughter adventure for us was complete. I feel fortunate that my mother and I are able to have such a great relationship, and have had the opportunity to visit many places around the world together. Here's to many more in the future!

Which brings us to today. Today I'm enjoying a Sunday of no plans and no work. Ahhhh...

No comments:

Post a Comment